[mythtv-users] RAID 1

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 14:46:23 UTC 2014

Greetings Mythizens, I have a 250 (sda) with the OS on it and two
terrabytes (sdc) with /var/lib/mythtv on it and (sdb) mount / ext 4. I
found a ubuntu thread and I'm wondering if this is a good way for me to go:

Create the raid: (if your raid drives are sdb and sdc, and you've
partitioned them)
mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=mirror --raid-devices=2 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1

Append array details to mdadm.conf:
mdadm -Es | grep md0 >> /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf

After which the boot ramdisk should be updated:
update-initramfs -u

Create the filesystem:
mkfs.ext4 /dev/md0

Add it to /etc/fstab:
/dev/md0 /store ext4 defaults,nobootwait 0 2

"/store", or whatever you use, must already exist as a directory. The
nobootwait is to prevent startup from halting if it can't mount it for some
reason. I also add "barrier=1,nodelalloc" to reduce risk of loss in a crash
at the cost of performance, and "noatime" to gain a small bit back.

Mount with "mount -a"

Another option is to use LVM, which has some mirroring support on its own,
and it makes growing and moving volumes much easier, or you can use it in
combination with mdadm.

I want to preserve the recordings on sdc and mirror them to sdb.  Instead
of /store, I think mine is /storage.