[mythtv-users] inverted fields during playback of BBC America recordings?

Karl Newman newmank1 at asme.org
Thu Aug 28 04:11:12 UTC 2014

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 7:35 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:

> I'm having trouble properly playing back recordings of BBC America.
> I've tried this on two frontends and the behavior is the same.  What's
> happening looks like every pair of lines has been flipped, as if the
> even and odd fields that make up the 1080i frame are being shown out
> of position.
>
> This is happening in both MythTV and mplayer, with and without vdpau,
> with and without deinterlacing.
>
> I've attached a small portion of a screen shot which shows the station
> logo, where the effect is very clear.  This is a screen shot of
> mplayer, but it looks the same in MythTV.
>
> What's even weirder is that when MythTV has deinterlacing enabled, and
> the video is paused, the fields seem to flip back into the correct
> places and the picture looks sharp.  (The boxes with the BBC letters
> don't look like they're underlined.)
>
> Several different recordings from BBC America show this, but I haven't
> noticed this problem on other channels.
>
> Has anyone else noticed something like this?
>
> Eric

I haven't seen this, but have you tried turning on the deinterlacer
(Video->Advanced->Deinterlacer), then setting video scan to
interlaced/reverse (Video->Advanced->Video Scan->Interlaced (Reverse) )?
Note: the menu I'm describing is the one that appears when you bring up the
menu during playback.

Karl