[mythtv-users] GUI to CLI

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Wed Aug 27 08:23:28 UTC 2014

On Tue, 26 Aug 2014 21:48:26 -0700, you wrote:

>On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 5:01 PM, Daryl McDonald <darylangela at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Greetings Mythizens, my experience today leads me to believe that Mythbuntu
>> Control Center is not as compatible with Myth in Trusty as it is with Myth
>> in Precise. Which in turn gives me a gentle nudge further away from GUI
>> system management toward CLI system management. The wiki I read today was
>> written in the days of 0.22 and alluded to there being back-up and restore
>> scripts embedded in myth, but I'm not totally clear on how to evoke them.  I
>> can still get my database backup tarball from Precise, and I would
>> appreciate help with command line syntax on restoring it into Trusty.
>> Guidance on setting up the revolving nightly backups would also be
>> appreciated. TIA  Daryl

>What experience? MCC is still compatible with trusty.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Thomas Mashos

Having just upgraded from Mythbuntu 12.04 to 14.04 on both my Mother's
box and my own, I would have to say that MCC and/or Mythbuntu 14.04
installer have a number of problems.

1) MCC's window is not resizable and is stretched out horizontally
across the full width of my screen.  It looks awful.

2) When I tell MCC to Apply an action, the popup window has the area
assigned to listing the changes as only 2 lines and I can only see
what the listed changes are by painfully scrolling it through those
two lines.  It is not resizable.

3) When I enable the XMLTV repository, I get errors from the apt-get
update command:

W: Failed to fetch
http://ppa.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/xmltv/ubuntu/dists/trusty/main/binary-amd64/Packages
404  Not Found

W: Failed to fetch
http://ppa.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/xmltv/ubuntu/dists/trusty/main/binary-i386/Packages
404  Not Found

4) VNC is not starting properly.  I have tried turning it off and on
again in MCC, but all I get when trying to connect is an error message
from TightVNCVviewer, and then it appears that x11vnc has stopped.
This did not happen with my mother's (much less complicated) Mythbuntu
system.

5) I had all my ~/.lirc control files overwritten with new ones.
Fortunately, the old ones were still there as *.old.  This did not
happen on my mother's upgrade either.

6) My sudoers file setup to allow me to rotate my EPG download logs as
part of my download script stopped working.

7) My /etc/init.d/lirc start and stop commands produce errors when
trying to echo to /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols.  I can manually do
those echo commands from a command prompt, but when I do them from
inside a bash or sh file, they do not work.  From my mother's box:

root at crw-pvr:~# /etc/init.d/lirc stop
sh: echo: I/O error
sh: echo: I/O error
 * Stopping remote control daemon(s): LIRC [ OK ]

On my mother's box, the errors are not a problem, but on mine my
remote does not function until I have done the commands manually.

That is all that I can remember at the moment.  I am working on fixing
all these things and trying to see why they have happened.