[mythtv-users] Issues with Video Playback

Andre Newman mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Tue Aug 26 14:39:03 UTC 2014

On 24 Aug 2014, at 17:26, A Desai <ashu.desai at gmail.com> wrote:

> Firstly, I must apologize if this is not the right place to put this
> question. I know we don't have H265 codec on the mythffmpeg fork yet,
> and I believe that we also don't support playback of H265 videos.
>
> However, I do have couple movies that are encoded in H265 and I can
> hear the audio but unable to see the video.
>
> I tried to use the mythffmpeg to see if I can transcode it back to
> H264 but it doesn't seem to like any commands I give.

I’ve had success with very recent ffmpeg builds, there are a great deal of hevc/h265 commits day by day, seems almost 50/50 fixes and optimisations, performance has quadrupled in the last month or two that I’be been following it.

I pulled an up to date ffmpeg static build from here:

http://ffmpeg.gusari.org/static/

Once you have a recent enough ffmpeg you can use whatever encode example you have or find for example:

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Encode/H.264

The Mythtv ffmpeg doesn’t yet have the recent hevc commits, hopefully before 0.28 releases, hint, hint. :-)

Otherwise if I dare mention it… go on then.

Kodi 14 (nee XBMC) nightly builds since two weeks ago plays h265 rather well, even 4k h265.

Andre