[mythtv-users] mount recordings

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 24 11:05:28 UTC 2014

> On 24 Aug 2014, at 8:11 pm, "Hika van den Hoven" <hikavdh at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hoi Daryl,
>
> Sunday, August 24, 2014, 1:30:58 AM, you wrote:
>

>> On Sat, Aug 23, 2014 at 6:20 PM, Bill Meek <keemllib at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 08/23/2014 05:14 PM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
>
>>> How about rights. does the user you use to look have x rights on the
>>
>> mountpoint
>
>> He's running sudo mount ..., and the directory /media/storage 'should'
>> have been copied over, as he cloned this drive. But it's reasonable
>> to check: ls -ld /media/storage.
>>
>> --
>> Bill

>> daryl at daryl-A780L3C:~$ ls -ld /media/storage
>
>> drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Jun 11  2013 /media/storage
>>
>> daryl at daryl-A780L3C:~$
>
> Just to be sure, you might want to change ownership to mythtv ( if
> that is your myth user):
> sudo chown mythtv /media/storage
>
> If you do this before mounting check again after. Mounting can change
> rights and ownership of the mountpoint.
>

> Tot mails,
>  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com
>
> "Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
> Zonder leven is er geen hoop
> Het eeuwige dilemma
> Zeker als je hoop moet vernietigen om te kunnen overleven!"
>
> De lerende Mens

Although if this is the issue then changing the owners from within one install may break the other installs.

I guess running:

ls -al

In the directory with the recordings after booting from each of the three installs will give the answer.

But there is probably a strong likelihood that Hika is correct because one install is Ubuntu and one is Mythbuntu so the mythtv user probably has different UID and GID under each install.

I can't help but think that the main problem(s) that we are facing here are triggered in various ways from having three operating systems.

Off-topic maybe, but I'll just throw it out there as a 'possible plan' but wonder whether it is worth disconnecting the 250Gb and getting the system fully functioning entirely on the 1Tb (which has the recordings attached). Once that is working, low level format the 250Gb (and repartition) and then clone the working OS to the 250Gb in final configuration with the 1Tb disconnected, get it all working. Then upgrade to 14.04. Iron out the bugs, reattach the storage and then (hopefully) all done.

I'm starting to get a bit lost as to what install is doing what now, don't know how others are fairing with it :-)