[mythtv-users] Disk I/O problems?

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Fri Aug 22 20:52:38 UTC 2014

On Sat, 23 Aug 2014 02:46:10 +1000, you wrote:

>Since upgrading to 0.27.3 I've been having bad problems with playback stutter
>and failures.
>

>hdparm on my disks seem somewhat slow:
>
>sudo hdparm -tT /dev/sda
>
>/dev/sda:
> Timing cached reads:   2134 MB in  2.00 seconds = 1067.96 MB/sec
> Timing buffered disk reads: 232 MB in  3.01 seconds =  77.01 MB/sec
>
>Is this normal for WD 1TB Greens? unfortunately I don't know what they were in
>the past :)
>

>thanks,

Check your logs to see if the drive is running SATA 1 (1.5 Gbit/s)
instead of 3 or 6 Gbit/s.  Sometimes I have seen drives and
controllers just fail to negotiate properly and drop to the lower
speed.  If you have that sort of problem, check the cable and try a
cold reboot (power off for at least 60 seconds before rebooting).