[mythtv-users] Variable Fast Forward/Rewind Feature Idea

John Marshall mythtv at marshallparty.org
Fri Aug 22 15:52:47 UTC 2014

On 8/22/2014 10:46 AM, Dick Steffens wrote:
> I have no idea how complicated this would be, or if it is even possible
> with software, but many years ago I had the opportunity to work with
> some video tape editing equipment. One of the things one could do was to
> control the playback speed variably, going forward or backward through
> the tape, with a lever. Center was normal speed. The control was spring
> loaded so that pushing it right or left and then letting go returned the
> control to the center. The amount you pushed the lever controlled how
> much faster the tape ran through the machine. I've often wished I had
> that feature.
>
> So, you video gurus out there, is there some technical reason why this
> can't work? Or is it something really complex that could work, but would
> take an inordinate amount of effort to do in the MythTV world?

MythTV already has various speeds of ff/rw.  I think the big limitation
is most remotes don't have analog levers, just buttons, so you speed up
with multiple ff/rw presses.

However, you can do pretty much exactly what you want with a Wiimote.  I
haven't used this in a couple of years, but I did have it working and
the "trigger and twist" method for ff/rw worked well.  The further you
twist the faster it goes.

http://www.benjiegillam.com/mythpywii-2-controls/