[mythtv-users] Live TV judder until channel change

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Fri Aug 22 06:58:19 UTC 2014

On Thu, 21 Aug 2014 21:43:53 -0700, you wrote:

>For a week or so I've noticed that when I start live TV I get really bad
>judder until I switch to a different station.  I can go back to the
>original channel and everything is fine.  I noticed this when I turn on the
>news in the morning and usually it starts on OTA Portland 2.1 which is a
>720p station.  The text crawl on the bottom of the screen is really jerky
>and overall movement in the picture seems to have really bad judder.
>
>I then switch to a different channel (usually up to OTA Portland 8.1 which
>is 1080i) and back to 2.1 then everything is fine.  I don't know if a
>switch in resolutions fixes it but it does get fixed.
>
>I also often don't get audio until a channel switch.
>
>I didn't notice it until an update I did from git in the ~Aug 9 or 10
>timeframe.  A pull and compile today gave the same behavior.
>
>I'm running on Linux Mint 17 and compile myth myself.
>
>Frontend info:
>
>mythfrontend --version
>Please attach all output as a file in bug reports.
>MythTV Version : v0.27.3-152-g926bb8d
>MythTV Branch : fixes/0.27
>Network Protocol : 77
>Library API : 0.27.20140719-1
>QT Version : 4.8.6
>Options compiled in:
> linux profile use_hidesyms using_alsa using_pulse using_backend
>using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_dvb
>using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_libcrypto using_libdns_sd
>using_libfftw3 using_libxml2 using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl
>using_opengl_video using_qtwebkit using_qtscript using_qtdbus using_sdl
>using_taglib using_v4l2 using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv using_profiletype
>using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_bindings_php
>using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_vdpau using_ffmpeg_threads
>using_mheg using_libass using_libxml2
>
>A pastebin of mythfrontend -v playback can be found below (only edit was to
>pull out my IP):
>
>http://pastebin.com/dDgFNVFh
>
>In this case I started live tv on OTA 2.1 (720p) had judder, switched to
>8.1 (1080i), then back to 2.1.
>
>Anyone see oddness in the log file?
>
>Thanks!

v0.27.3-150-g082d5c1

I have had the same judder recently.  If I do a skip back (10
seconds), then the judder goes away, so it looks as though the
playback point might be too close to the end of the buffer and the
playback is pausing to wait for the arrival of more data.

There was a recent build where I was not always getting sound on
LiveTV, but that was fixed the next day.