[mythtv-users] UPnP - gupnp-av-cp and a TV set have the same problem with MythTV

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Thu Aug 21 21:52:02 UTC 2014

On 08/21/2014 07:17 AM, Janusz S. Bien wrote:
> Quote/Cytat - mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org (Thu 21 Aug 2014 06:11:04
> AM CEST):
>
>> Message: 3
>> Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 22:57:06 +0100
>> From: John Pilkington <J.Pilk at tesco.net>
>> Subject: [mythtv-users] Philips 32PFL5007K/12 TV set and a UPnP
>>     problem
>
>> I'm replying via the archives so message threading will be uncertain;
>
> Thanks for the answer. I've changed the subject to make it more adequate.
>
>> and I have no experience with this TV set.
>
> Fortunately (?) the problem can be reproduced without a TV set.
>
>> Nor do I know the format of your files.
>
> I'm a complete novice, I don't change the defaults.
>
> The files extension is mpg, the file program reports "MPEG transport
> stream data"
I suppose that would be Polish DVB.  I would use 'ffmpeg -i <filename>'
or mediainfo to get more details, but they're probably irrelevant.

>> Nevertheless...
>>
>> The Myth UPnP server treats 'recordings' and 'videos' differently and
>> you might find that your files will play as videos - although I find
>> that the duration/progress info is missing then.
>
> My Video directory is empty.
I thought it would be worth copying (or linking) one of your recordings
into that directory and 'scanning for changes';  is it then listed as a
video and does it play (both in mythfronted and via upnp)?

>> If you want to make routine use of UPnP you will probably want to be
>> able to skip commercials,
>
> It's on.
... but TTBOMK the server won't use a cutlist, so -

>> that will require something like
>> 'lossless transcoding' first.
>
> Again I depend on the defaults settings.
>
>> That may change the file format too.  I
>> found I could play a raw recording but not one that had been cut, unless
>> it was presented as a 'video'; I now apply a patch for that, but I have
>> no way of knowing if it would help you :-)  A ticket search for 'UPnP
>> regression' should find it.
>
> It's here:
>
> https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/12181
>
> My recordings without postprocessing have the same problem.
>
> Please note:
>
> Quote/Cytat - "Janusz S. Bien" <jsbien at mimuw.edu.pl> (Mon 18 Aug 2014
> 02:30:07 PM CEST):
>
>> All the MythTV recordings (at least all tested) can be played on the
>> TV set when served by rygel. So the problem seems to be MythTV
>>  specific.

... but the myth server _does_ work with some renderers, including my
TV, so your TV isn't cooperating.  Mine didn't without the revert-#9446
patch.   If rygel does what you want, ok; otherwise it would be good to
dig further.  Perhaps, with Myth running, you could run 'mythbackend
--setverbose none,upnp' in a terminal and see what you get in the
backend log, but I'm no expert in interpreting it.  And about a month
ago another diagnostic tool was posted here but TTBOMK it isn't
'supported', and although I've used it I'm not familiar with it and I
probably shouldn't be mentioning it....

> I've sent more detailed description to gupnp-list :
>
> https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gupnp-list/2014-August/msg00000.html
>
>> When using GNu UPnP AV Control Point the problems are analogical to
>> that with my TV set: I am able to play MythTV recordings (in mpg
>> format) when served by rygel but not when served by the MythTV
>> backend.
>
>> When the MythTV backend is up, then I can browse the recording but
>> there is no renderer selected. Moreover when I try to play a recording
>> anyway, I get the message "no compatible URI found".
>
> Unfortunately I got no answer (yet?), the list doesn't seem active.
and that's another tool that I haven't used :-)