[mythtv-users] Cablecard spec change undermining CCI Copy Freely flags

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Thu Aug 21 20:59:19 UTC 2014

On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 11:57 AM, Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 1:41 PM, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net>
> wrote:
> > .... A user who lives just a
> > few streets away with the same cable provider is getting no CCI and no
> CGSM
> > flags on channels were I do see CGMS flags.
>
> Possible a different headend (with a different config)?
> Some areas were built up in the most interesting way.
> Since there has to be a boundary somewhere (there is
> not just one cable crossing the entire country, or even
> one city), one can find that one's neighbor is on a
> different headend for good engineering reasons.  And
> sometimes bad reasons, too.  I happen to live close
> enough to another cities boundary (about 150 yards)
> that the cable provider uses the headend nominally
> assigned to that other city (which ended up
> causing me some grief getting my first CableCARD
> activated, since the MSO kept pushing the config
> to what they believed should be my headend.)
> Anyway, even next door neighbors can end up
> with different headend assignments.

With WOW, their system is setup so that the whole southeast Michigan area
is served up the same content from the same headend in exactly the same
way. It's a pretty nice setup in that it provides consistency for the whole
region, so it makes troubleshooting easier for engineers, and customers can
know exactly what will be available in any city that WOW serves around here.

Aside from that, there's the timing aspect that I alluded to. Multiple
users in multiple cities with both SD and Ceton devices here had a system
that worked the same way. Then all of us, within a few days of each other,
noticed the same problems occur with the same channels. The people who
updated the HDHR prime firmware all suddenly ended up with things working
again. It's an extremely strong correlation.

--
Ron Frazier