[mythtv-users] OT: Behind the scenes at a cable TV setup

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Aug 21 17:26:53 UTC 2014

Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:

> But conditional access and DRM/"copy once" type logic are not the same
> thing at all from my point of view.

Yes and no - one is no good without the other

> With conditional access, it's binary.  You subscribe to a channel in
> order to be able to receive it.  Once you pay for it, you get it and
> you can do what you will with it, up to the limits of copyright law.

I believe that for most, if not all, of us on this list that would be the case. But what we are punished for is that not insignificant minority who take the attitude that "if you can, you do" and would respect no boundaries based on copyright law or "fairness". So it's hard to criticise the companies concerned for protecting their business against those would would have no problem subscribing and instantly streaming the whole lot to ${some group}.

> If the goal is to
> keep the content off peer-to-peer networks, or to prevent commercial
> piracy, then the current DRM systems are an abysmal failure.  They
> aren't strong enough to stop anyone who is serious about breaking them
> and only get in the way of less sophisticated people.

I disagree. It is true that the systems don't prevent copying, but they raise the bar so that ${most people} won't bother. And given that probably a vast majority of users aren't that bothered by using the supplied hardware then they probably don't consider that they are hugely inconvenienced.

A parallel over here (in the UK) is with Sky - the only mainstream subscription broadcast service available to a large proportion of people (though that's changing a bit with some of the online services now available). There is no option to have service only, only to take the "Sky Box".
I suspect that more than a majority take the attitude that they'd rather "it just work" than have to go and get another box and potentially have problems (and problems where to point the finger).

> If cable companies used cable cards exclusively for conditional
> access, there would be much rejoicing on this list.

I'm sure there would. I can't help thinking that pigs will evolve wings before that happens.