[mythtv-users] Cablecard spec change undermining CCI Copy Freely flags

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 16:04:58 UTC 2014

On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 2:34 PM, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-08-21 at 09:41 -0400, Ronald Frazier wrote:
>> Now, whenever a CCI 0x00 Copy Freely flag is
>> present, the cablecard is allowed to lie and report that there are actually
>> no CCI flags present.
>
> Liars should never be believed.  Sounds like a good reason to just
> ignore what the cablecard is saying and do what you think is best.

If you just do what you think is best, you may lose your
CableLabs certification and have your keys/licenses
revoked, essentially turning your company into a
paperweight.  Negotiation/Clarification with CableLabs
is needed for moving forward.  The Cisco/Arris (aka Motorola)'s
of the world get a strong "vote" and "veto" power over
the CableCARD specs and implementations.  Everyone
else has to follow the rules as accurately as possible.

So, to move forward, Ceton will need to work with
CableLabs to insure that any change in interpretation
is allowable.  Typically that takes some time.  And
it certainly takes effort by Ceton to engage CableLabs.
I suppose this is a test for Ceton's willingness to
support non-Windows users by requesting the
variance.