[mythtv-users] MySQL 5.1 to 5.5 upgrade on Gentoo

Rich Freeman r-mythtv at thefreemanclan.net
Thu Aug 21 10:35:22 UTC 2014

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 10:07 AM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 08/19/2014 06:53 PM, Tom Dexter wrote:
>>
>> First of all, does the MySQL upgrade end up forcing a re-compile of
>> MythTV, either directly or via @preserved_rebuild?  I'd like to know
>> if I'm going to have to deal with that one.
>

> Not saying a thing about Gentoo's build scripts--since I know nothing of
> what they say--but a MySQL upgrade will never cause a need for a MythTV
> recompile.

Note that mythplugins DOES link to libmysqlclient if built with
zoneminder support.  So, you might have to rebuild that.

Also, you definitely need to rebuild qt-mysql, and for whatever reason
portage is not detecting that, so neither @preserved-rebuild nor
automatic rebuilds will catch that.  You need to run a full
revdep-rebuild to spot it, or manually re-emerge it.

I did update the mythplugins ebuild to add more dependencies that were
previously missed.  I did not have time to make them all configurable,
but I do plan to go ahead and add USE flag toggles for many of them.
I believe the new mysql uses sub-slots, so in theory future upgrades
should trigger an automatic rebuild of mythplugins if you have
zoneminder enabled.

I always do backups before upgrading mysql, but I do not typically do
a wipe/restore of the database.  With the large move to v5.5, I
actually took the opportunity to migrate to mariadb running in a
container, which let me migrate a database at a time over (the
container ran on its own IP, so it could run in parallel).  Running it
in a container means more stuff to keep up to date, but at least now I
know that when I'm upgrading the database I'm ONLY upgrading the
database and thus I only need to worry about backup/testing/etc for
things that use the database, and it doesn't cost me too much more RAM
to do it.

Rich