[mythtv-users] MySQL 5.1 to 5.5 upgrade on Gentoo

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 22:53:29 UTC 2014

If anyone is running MythTV on Gentoo, I have a few questions
regarding the MySQL 5.1 to 5.5 upgrade:

First of all, does the MySQL upgrade end up forcing a re-compile of
MythTV, either directly or via @preserved_rebuild?  I'd like to know
if I'm going to have to deal with that one.

Before I do anything I plan on making sure that no tables need repair
etc.  Also, to play it safe I plan to sql dump, drop, re-create and
restore the mythconverg database, but looking at the upgrade
instructions I'm a little confused by the exact order of steps.

Since I plan on re-creating and restoring the database, I was thinking
that I should just backup and drop the database before even upgrading.
After that, I wasn't clear as to whether I should be running the
mysql_upgrade before re-creating and restoring mythconverg.  I figured
that would be best because mysql_upgrade will be making changes to the
mysql database schema etc.

Just wanted to see it I was on the right track there.

Thanks!
Tom