[mythtv-users] Motherboard recommendation

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Tue Aug 19 15:24:50 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-08-19 at 10:58 -0400, Dan Wilga wrote:
> I'm the OP, and, in fact, this machine is to be used as a combined
> router and backend.

As others have said, and I agree, this is just bad news.

If you want a router/firewall even as complicated has having 3 ethernet
ports you really want to get as much off of it as you can, not loading
more stuff onto it.

Perhaps you want to look into OpenWRT and any common WAP with 5 (WAN + 4
LAN) ethernet ports.  You can actually separate (only some if you
wish)[1] those 4 LAN ports and put them all onto their own VLANs and do
whatever firewalling you want between them.  But that's all discussion
for another list (i.e. OpenWRT user's) not this one so that's all I will
say about it.

[1] I carved off one of the LAN ports on my OpenWRT router/firewall and
assigned it as a second WAN interface to support my dual ISP
connections.  I have not done a formal DMZ, but if I were going to, I
would carve off another port for that, etc.

b.