[mythtv-users] Combined FE/BE using USB for all I/O?

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Aug 18 20:44:18 UTC 2014

Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:

> But can you explain why multiple people on this list seem to think
> that I/O contention is a serious problem, such as Stephen
> Worthington's "All it takes is one moment when the
> disk is too busy and you will lose a block of data and seconds of one
> or more recording."?  That just doesn't seem to be the case.

Because some of us have experienced it.
OK, it was a VM on a not too highly specced machine, but my first Myth setup would routinely lose data from recordings. I had to turn off commflagging as it tipped the system over the edge, but I would still routinely have break-up in recordings about the times that other recordings were starting/ending. Apparently that's not supposed to be possible.