[mythtv-users] upgrade

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 12:04:56 UTC 2014

On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 6:55 AM, Mark Perkins <perkins1724 at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> On 18 Aug 2014, at 7:30 pm, "Michael Watson" <
> michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au> wrote:
>
> On 18/08/2014 4:48 PM, Mark Perkins wrote:
>

>  Other than the password I set up on install I've never used/remembered
> any other password. Probably because I have only the one box and don't do
> anything remotely.
>
> Thanks for all the contributions thus far. I have another idea I'm
> considering, at my disposal is a 250GB drive and two 1TB drives. Eventually
> I'd like the OS to be on the 250 and the other two to be set up in RAID.
> The question is during this upgrade process can Ubuntu 12.04 and mythbuntu
> 14.04 be installed in dual boot fashion giving me the flexibility to
> continue to record on Ubuntu while I take my time migrating scripts and
> tweaking Mythbuntu?
>
> It was a year ago when my son separated the OS from the recordings on the
> same 1TB drive for me. How he did it escapes me at this time and what
> considerations that will give this new endeavor is unknown to me. My
> knowledge is directly related to my experience, so unless I've done
> something a couple or three times its foggy at best.
>
> Again, thanks for your time, consideration, and patience.
> Daryl.

> Yes you could, but I think it would be the more complicated path. To be
> honest - my recommendation (assuming Ubuntu 12.04 (currently working MythTV
> system) is on the 250Gb where you ultimately want the *buntu 14.04 install
> and that one of the 1Tb drives is blank / blankable) would be:
>
>  1) clone the current working system from 250Gb drive to 1Tb drive.
> 2) work out how to get the 14.04 upgrade working on the 1Tb drive in your
> spare time just swapping between the two when recordings need to happen.
> Repeat step 1 as and when needed (if needed)
> 3) once we have worked out how to get the upgrade to work clone the 250Gb
> over to the 1Tb again (to act as fallback).
> 4) upgrade the 250Gb to 14.04 having already done a 'dry run' using the
> 1Tb and knowing all the tricks needed to get it to work.
> 5) once satisfied the upgrade on the 250Gb has all worked properly wipe
> the 1Tb fallback and add the drive as the second recording drive.
>
>  Note that you would end up with Ubuntu 14.04 (not Mythbuntu 14.04)
> because your current system is Ubuntu but I don't see any issue with that
> unless you really really wanted to get onto Mythbuntu.
>
>  But let's see what other suggestions are given as well.
>

> Backup Database  (Copy to another System)
> (IF your paranoid clone 250Gb to 1Tb Drive)
>
> From Desktop Press CTRL-F1 to get console
> Login as your user
> Type:
>
> sudo su -
> apt-get update; apt-get -y dist-upgrade
> /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend stop
> do-release-upgrade
> reboot
>

> Job Done.
>

> No virus found in this message.

> Daryl has previously advised that the upgrade fails. He hasn't given us a
> [...]
failed upgrade attempts via update manager. when I click on the details
button I can monitor, to an extent, what is happening, but I don't know how
to save it. I recall something like "unexpected multiple test files"  and a
statement "this may not work well" . I have the functioning 12.04 system on
the 1TB and the 250GB drives. I could experiment using the TTY method
suggested above, but would this give me a way to save/share errors I might
encounter along the way?