[mythtv-users] A Myther can dream, right?

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 11:45:49 UTC 2014

On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 8:07 PM, Another Sillyname <
anothersname at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Or you can go for the cheap/home 36TB Mini ITX version......about $2k-$3k

My BE is a VM on a Poweredge 2950 running ESXi 5.5. I just bought a
Poweredge R710 off Ebay and plan on installing 6 4TB drives in a RAID 6 and
making it a second ESXi node. This will give me about 16TB usable plus the
7 or so TB in my existing fiber-attached XServe RAID.

Your build is intriguing and I had considered building my own, but at the
end of the day I wanted something that I knew would "just work" for my
needs and was reliable. I wanted a SAN device but unfortunately,
fiber-attached boxes that could handle SATA disks were either prohibitively
expensive or brands I had never heard of. I started looking at things like
the Synology enclosures using iSCSI for my connectivity but those
enclosures cost around a grand on newegg. I figured I'd be better off
spending that money on something I can run a few VMs on along with my BE.
The box should be a hair under $2k when it's up and running.