[mythtv-users] A Myther can dream, right?

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon Aug 18 09:55:40 UTC 2014

On Mon, 18 Aug 2014 11:05:37 +1000, you wrote:

>On 18 August 2014 10:49, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
>> No point to spending the extra on Red drives unless you're actually putting
>> them in a hardware RAID array. Their only purpose is to abort data recovery
>> measures early, before a hardware RAID array boots the drive for being
>> unresponsive.
>
>This is not entirely correct.
>
>TLER isn't useful just for raid hardware, it has uses under most
>software RAID and OS too. For example while mdadm will literally wait
>forever. the underlying kernel disk subsystem will only wait 30s
>without TLER and drop the drive completely after that.
>
>Red also gives you longer warranty

And also better specs for vibration, if you are putting it into a card
cage with other drives.  Slightly higher max operating temperature (70
C vs 65 C).  And surprisingly, lower power use in both operating and
idle than the 6 Tbyte Green drive.

I just got my first one of these (WD60EFRX) a few days ago.  It was
NZ$421.43 versus NZ$393.43 for the Green WD60EZRX.  But the WD60EZRX
has just dropped NZ$10 today.