[mythtv-users] upgrade

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 18 06:48:14 UTC 2014

> Other than the password I set up on install I've never used/remembered any other password. Probably because I have only the one box and don't do anything remotely.
>
> Thanks for all the contributions thus far. I have another idea I'm considering, at my disposal is a 250GB drive and two 1TB drives. Eventually I'd like the OS to be on the 250 and the other two to be set up in RAID. The question is during this upgrade process can Ubuntu 12.04 and mythbuntu 14.04 be installed in dual boot fashion giving me the flexibility to continue to record on Ubuntu while I take my time migrating scripts and tweaking Mythbuntu?
>
> It was a year ago when my son separated the OS from the recordings on the same 1TB drive for me. How he did it escapes me at this time and what considerations that will give this new endeavor is unknown to me. My knowledge is directly related to my experience, so unless I've done something a couple or three times its foggy at best.
>
> Again, thanks for your time, consideration, and patience.
> Daryl.

Yes you could, but I think it would be the more complicated path. To be honest - my recommendation (assuming Ubuntu 12.04 (currently working MythTV system) is on the 250Gb where you ultimately want the *buntu 14.04 install and that one of the 1Tb drives is blank / blankable) would be:

1) clone the current working system from 250Gb drive to 1Tb drive.
2) work out how to get the 14.04 upgrade working on the 1Tb drive in your spare time just swapping between the two when recordings need to happen. Repeat step 1 as and when needed (if needed)
3) once we have worked out how to get the upgrade to work clone the 250Gb over to the 1Tb again (to act as fallback).
4) upgrade the 250Gb to 14.04 having already done a 'dry run' using the 1Tb and knowing all the tricks needed to get it to work.
5) once satisfied the upgrade on the 250Gb has all worked properly wipe the 1Tb fallback and add the drive as the second recording drive.

Note that you would end up with Ubuntu 14.04 (not Mythbuntu 14.04) because your current system is Ubuntu but I don't see any issue with that unless you really really wanted to get onto Mythbuntu.

But let's see what other suggestions are given as well.