[mythtv-users] upgrade

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sun Aug 17 09:27:06 UTC 2014

On 17/08/14 05:42, Mark Perkins wrote:

(deletia)

> No, definitely don't move /usr/local/bin across. About the only thing I can
> think of that might be a problem would be whether mythcommflag is entered as
> "/usr/local/bin/mythcommflag" or "mythcommflag" and either way we can just
> tweak it up later if it doesn't work. Both old and new install are variants
> of Mythbuntu anyway (IIRC) so it's pretty much a given it will work fine
> without any intervention anyway. It would be more a (minor?) consideration if
> you were moving from say Mythbuntu to Gentoo or something else - I probably
> shouldn't have mentioned it in the first place it is so unlikely.
>
> Yes the udev rules will need to be recreated - the database will be looking
> for those (ie the custom naming) - but I'm hopeful you can just reuse the
> previous rules unmodified if the hardware is identical (although I know
> nothing about udev but that is where I would start).
>
> But before doing udev rules I would make sure MythTV is working first with a
> basic setup on a clean install and clean empty database. Ie add a single
> tuner in mythtv-setup, add a video source etc and check that you can get some
> live TV, program guide etc. That might shake out a few issues first (MySQL
> setup / MythTV user setup / various permissions - which should all be fine
> out-of-the-box with clean Mythbuntu install) with a known clean database so
> that future troubleshooting is kept as simple as possible. Make sure this
> step includes the config.xml file from the old setup (ie hostname identifier,
> username and password in particular).
>
> Once clean install MythTV is working next thing after would be to do udev
> rules and verify they are working, then restore database (following host name
> change protocols for the database where applicable). I think storage group
> folders can be corrected after that if necessary if folder naming or mount
> points have changed.

If you have done a new, clean installation the likelihood is that your MySQL
database has been given a NEW auto-generated password.

Using the one which is in your original config.xml is sure to cause tears.

Examine the NEW config.xml the installation process gave you and note down the
password! Then update that config.xml file with the relevant information from
the old setup, but NOT the password.

--

Mike Perkins