[mythtv-users] Ceton 6 tuner box

David Engel david at istwok.net
Sat Aug 16 16:46:27 UTC 2014

On Sat, Aug 16, 2014 at 06:22:01AM -0700, Yeechang Lee wrote:
> David Engel <david at istwok.net> says:
> > I didn't really need it, but the convenience of another networked
> > tuner was getting to me.
>
> A general question about CableCARD devices: If I were to buy a Ceton
> six-tuner network box to replace my three-tuner HDHomeRun Prime (which
> has worked very well), do I need to pair the card again with the new
> box?  Or will the CableCARD automatically work, without having to
> contact my cable company, because it's already activated for use?

It depends on how the Ceton behaves in that situation.  When I got my
Ceton PCIe card nearly 3 years ago, the pairing went fairly smoothly
and I never tried viewing any content before the card was fully
paired.  When I got my HDHRP 1.5 years ago, however, the pairing
didn't go so smoothly and took multiple attempts over a few days to
get it done.  On a whim, I tried viewing content before the card was
paired and it worked!  Silicon Dust later confirmed to me that their
interpretation of the Cable Card spec allows them to pass copy freely
content as long as the card is activated and decrypts it even if it's
not fully paired.

David
--
David Engel