[mythtv-users] Ceton 6 tuner box

Yippee Three-eight yp_38 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 15 16:08:32 UTC 2014

I have the Ceton InfiniTV 4 PCIe.  I've been unable to get it to work with MythTV.  If it works for you, great.  If it doesn't, good luck.  There is virtually no support available for that card.  There are apparently not enough people here to help, and Ceton provides no support (which they state).

On Saturday, August 9, 2014 2:52 PM, Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, Aug 9, 2014 at 5:44 PM, Ken Mandelberg <km at mathcs.emory.edu> wrote:
> I just noticed that the Ceton 5504-DCT06EX-ETH is 6 tuners with one M Card.
> I had assumed it was just two 3 tuner units in one box requiring two M
> cards.

The CableCARD spec supports 6 streams per card decoding.
Ceton (and TiVo) are the only currently shipping consumer
products that support all 6 streams (according to reports,
for early adopters, there were some special issues with 6
streams and some CableCARDs and then some Tuning
Adapters (in places where TAs are in use).  Fixed by now in
recent firmware(s) in the various boards/devices/cards).
Note that except in "special" places, Comcast does not
use Tuning Adapters (one less challenge in the mix).

> Give the way Comcast charges for M cards, this seems interesting to me as an
> upgrade to my Hdhomerun prime.

Every franchise has a different way to charge for CableCARDS.  In
my location, additional cards are (in my bill) marked as "second
card in same device" (maybe they think I have an old TiVo dual
CableCARD device), so I end up paying only a small increment
every month for each additional card ($1.50/mo as I recall).
Other franchises seem to charge much more per additional card,
and some franchises still have an "outlet" charge added to each
CableCARD (although the outlet charges have mostly gone away,
some franchises are still special).  There is no "one" price with
Comcast.  It all depends on where you live, and the competition,
and the local franchise agreements (some local municipalities
have interesting requirements/fees).

> Is it mythtv compatible? Newegg is currently selling it at $180, but only
> mentions windows.

Ceton has been running a special of $100 off their usual
price.  Not sure how long it lasts.  But if the device is
attractive to you, you should probably pull the trigger
sooner rather than later.

Ceton only officially supports Windows.  That said, it
does work with with MythTV, and Ceton provides Linux
drives for their internal PCIe cards, and their USB cards,
and a SDV daemon   So lack of Linux support seems
to be more of an internal support staff issue than a real
lack of interest in making sure Linux support works
(if you go back in the history, Ceton first talked about
Linux and Linux support.  DRM requirements was probably
the driving factor to pivot to the Windows marketplace).

> Is Silicondust ever going to have a high tuner one M card box?

They have announced (but not yet shipping) two different
4 tuner CableCARD devices, one with, and one without
a transcoding engine.  There are also rumors that they
will (eventually) offer a 6 tuner card.  And, from a marketing
perspective, they lose mind share by not offering such a
product (to compete with Ceton), so I would not be
surprised that they (eventually) will.

However, you can not buy a rumor at Newegg (well,
actually you sometimes can, but they never ship).