[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun Firewall rules, WAS: Fedora 20 mythtv .27 audio issue

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 16:41:44 UTC 2014

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 4:02 PM, Leo Butler <leo.butler at member.ams.org> wrote:

> Since this whitelists traffic from a host, rather than from ports on
> any host, I think this is a better option.

This is one place where Windows has it better.  The Windows
firewall is application aware, and when an application runs,
its firewall requirements are applied.  Communicating with the
HDHR depends on which mode one operates it in, and can
depend on the needs for device discovery.  There is no
equivalent application aware firewall in Linux.  For Linux, and
the HDHR, an allow any from the specified IP address is probably
the best one can do to avoid future issues with changes in
the ports being used in future firmwares or functionality.