[mythtv-users] Not waking up

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Mon Aug 11 10:34:43 UTC 2014

On 11/08/14 04:48, Daryl McDonald wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 7:30 PM, Mark Perkins <perkins1724 at hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On 11 Aug 2014, at 7:50 am, "Daryl McDonald" <darylangela at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>> On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 4:15 PM, Daryl McDonald <darylangela at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Greetings mythizens, recently I've noticed my box is not waking up for
>>> scheduled recordings a it has in the past, probably due to all the cloning
>>> and re installing trying to upgrade to 14.04. I've re installed a
>>> wakeup-test.sh suggested by Bill Meek, properly this time now that my
>>> comprehension has expanded some and come up with the following result:
>>> daryl at daryl-A780L3C:~$ sudo /wakeup-test.sh
>>> [sudo] password for daryl:
>>> rtc_time : 15:46:38
>>> rtc_date : 2014-08-10
>>> alrm_time : 19:47:38
>>> alrm_date : 2014-08-10
>>> alarm_IRQ : yes
>>> alrm_pending : no
>>> update IRQ enabled : no
>>> periodic IRQ enabled : no
>>> periodic IRQ frequency : 1024
>>> max user IRQ frequency : 64
>>> 24hr : yes
>>> periodic_IRQ : no
>>> update_IRQ : no
>>> HPET_emulated : no
>>> BCD : yes
>>> DST_enable : no
>>> periodic_freq : 1024
>>> batt_status : dead
>>> the script is designed to wake up one minute in the future, seeing the
>>> four hour and one minute difference, I suspected my bios had reverted to
>>> UTC from RTC, since I've abandoned dual boot. I therefore re inserted the
>>> "setwakeup.sh" for UTC and put the previous script on the sidelines, ran a
>>> quick test, which failed, then upon closer examination I could see the
>>> sidelined script should have handled either UTC or RTC.
>>> I'm running 0.27.3 inside a 12.04 Ubuntu desktop environment. Any
>>> suggestions on what to try next to get it to wake by itself would be
>>> greatly appreciated. TIA Daryl
>>>

>> After toggling the UTC option back to "yes" (assume bios is set to UTC
>> recommended) in "/etc/default/rcS" the system did try to wakeup, but needed
>> manual intervention. Used to be once in a while and now almost every time,
>> after the bios screen I get a message like this is not a bootable disk
>> insert floppy and press any key to continue. I scrambled to find a live CD
>> the first time but now realize that hitting enter boots up, and later there
>> is a message "mount all disconnected from Plymouth" that may not be
>> verbatim, it goes pretty quick and the system is up. does anyone have
>> experience with this behaviour, or knowledge of how to correct it?
>>   Daryl

>> A couple of thought:
>> 1) if this is a clone of a HDD that was dual boot but is no longer dual
>> booted then perhaps there are legacy partitions that are causing problems.
> [...]
Hello? It says "battery dead". That's the CMOS battery, and particulary as you
state it is an old box, I would suggest you fit a new battery!

If the battery charge is marginal, this could cause the values in the CMOS
memory to be doubtful. In particular, it may not remember what kind of HDD you
have installed, or the boot order. That would cause the error message you have.
By the time you get around to pressing 'Enter' the power supply is at nominal
and it can read out the boot parameters.

Change the battery first, then worry about other problems. We all forget about
those coin batteries on the motherboard, sometimes they can be there for 10 or
more years.

--

Mike Perkins