[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun Firewall rules, WAS: Fedora 20 mythtv .27 audio issue

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 11:42:56 UTC 2014

On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 6:43 PM, Nick Campbell <westlandnick at gmail.com>
wrote:

> So I tried installing from binary packages, and I'm getting the same
> problem.  I did follow an old writeup and remove pulse audio plugins before
> I asked for help..  So that didn't fix anything..  Anyway, after installing
> the binary I thought for sure it would be fixed.  I still have working
> audio in everything except for mythtv.  My audio through HDMI on my Nvidia
> GT610 works, and my analog out works, and my headphone jack works, just not
> in mythtv.  I really think there is something permissions wise that isn't
> allowing mythtv to connect to the audio. SELinux? I have it set to
> "permissive", not turned off.  I had to turn my firewall off in order to
> get mythtv to connect to my HDHomerun..  so the firewall is off, and the
> SELinux is permissive, is there any way that maybe my compiled mythtv still
> has my binary screwed up?  Is there somewhere I need to chmod or chown some
> files?

This is only helpful to you if you can get your audio working, but I
thought it worth mentioning.

If you don't want to disable your firewall then you must use iptables and
not firewalld.

I'm not a firewall guru but I did figure out with the help of google that
the destination ports from the HDHR are random (probably within a range?)
so you have to base the rules on the source port and that:

1. The iptables gui can't handle this
2. Firewalld can't handle this at all (unless this has changed recently).

So I created a hdhr specific file along the iptables config file the gui
sets up:
# cat /etc/sysconfig/iptables-hdhr
-A INPUT -m state --state NEW -m udp -p udp --sport 5002 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -m state --state NEW -m udp -p udp --sport 5004 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -m state --state NEW -m udp -p udp --sport 65001 -j ACCEPT

Then use system-config-firewall and then in the "Custom Rules" add the file
you created and restart iptables. I think clicking "Apply" will do that for
you, or at least tell iptables to reload the rules.

Good luck figuring out the audio problem.

Richard