[mythtv-users] Merge two versions of 'oldrecorded' ?

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 8 19:46:35 UTC 2014

> On 9 Aug 2014, at 12:28 am, "Gary Buhrmaster" <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 11:55 AM, Mark Perkins <perkins1724 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Though to be honest - in my opinion - I think the "if you touch the DB outside of MythTV itself, you are on you own, now, and for all the future" goes way too far. If someone is well intentioned in what they were trying to do and were open and honest in telling us what they had done then I would still like to think that the collective power of 'the list' could help, or try and help. Maybe it's just me but I would like to try and help, at least to the limit of my capability. And I guess that is the power of a list - those that want to help will, and those that don't want to help won't.
>
> And I have seen posts from people having/reporting issues and
> asking for help, and then, after many exchanges back and
> forth trying to understand how something could get into that
> condition, admits many posts later that s/he used a DB
> editor to make just a little change (in some core table)
> based on some suggestion months or years ago, or thinking
> it was a good thing to do.  Which, depending on your
> persuasion, was either excellent customer support, or
> a complete waste of time (which, unfortunately, was done
> by someone whose value to MythTV as a core dev meant you
> possibly did not get that feature you have been asking for :-).

Yes, you are spot on here. That time lost has a real genuine cost and value. And it is all provided for free.

It's hard to know what to say. The time, effort and expertise that the devs have provided - for free - is what has made MythTV such an awesome product. It has attracted more users to the project and built the community. Mere thanks on a mailing list seems entirely insufficient. I guess that means I think it was excellent customer support despite the wasted time :-)

But in truth I should have also probably be more tempered in what I said, I've only been around for a year or so, so have not seen what the 10-15year veterans have.