[mythtv-users] Merge two versions of 'oldrecorded' ?

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 8 11:55:19 UTC 2014

> On 8 Aug 2014, at 7:51 pm, "John Pilkington" <J.Pilk at tesco.net> wrote:
>
>> On 07/08/14 18:17, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
>>> On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 3:49 PM, John Pilkington <J.Pilk at tesco.net> wrote:
>>> .... I'm just hoping none of Mike's dire DB
>>> forebodings apply to this particular table!
>>
>> Channeling Mr. Dean(*), if you touch the DB outside of MythTV itself,
>> you are on you own, now, and for all the future.  You may have the
>> expertise to follow the business logic inside the MythTV code, and
>> can avoid certain pitfalls, but posting recommendations or
>> instructions on the list is always a poor idea, since others, far into
>> the future, may hit them in a web search, and not have your
>> expertise to understand the implications and requirements, or to
>> perform the actions on a database table which has been refactored
>> such that bad things will happen.  Mailing lists are forever (I suppose
>> that is one advantage to forums, bad suggestions can be deleted
>> to prevent their (mis)use).
>>
>> Gary
>>
>> (*) AFAIK I do not speak for Mr. Dean.  If he disagrees with
>> my characterization of his POV, I am sure he will correct me.
>
> Gary, I hear you.  But as I see it this is, at least in part, a list for enthusiasts and it is the best place I know for the exchange of MythTV lore. I would hope that suggestions could always be posted here in good faith, to be used with discretion.  In this case I'm happy with the result I'm seeing.
>
> I wouldn't want everything that appears here to be filtered through a rigorous Health-and-Safety check; but your warning is appropriate.
>
> John

+1 to this, well said John.

I know the warnings need to be there and there are risks associated with anything outside of the official line but I still think we should be able to help people get a better 'MythTV experience' at the same time.

Though to be honest - in my opinion - I think the "if you touch the DB outside of MythTV itself, you are on you own, now, and for all the future" goes way too far. If someone is well intentioned in what they were trying to do and were open and honest in telling us what they had done then I would still like to think that the collective power of 'the list' could help, or try and help. Maybe it's just me but I would like to try and help, at least to the limit of my capability. And I guess that is the power of a list - those that want to help will, and those that don't want to help won't.

Full disclosure: If it was a hard-and-fast rule then I would have to turn my myth install off now and walk away. I made a mistake and didn't read properly (and admitted it on this list) - but I can't undo that now no matter how much I want to.  But I hope that if / when I need help someone would help me if they could.