[mythtv-users] Merge two versions of 'oldrecorded' ?

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Fri Aug 8 10:21:31 UTC 2014

On 07/08/14 18:17, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 3:49 PM, John Pilkington <J.Pilk at tesco.net> wrote:
>> .... I'm just hoping none of Mike's dire DB
>> forebodings apply to this particular table!
>
> Channeling Mr. Dean(*), if you touch the DB outside of MythTV itself,
> you are on you own, now, and for all the future.  You may have the
> expertise to follow the business logic inside the MythTV code, and
> can avoid certain pitfalls, but posting recommendations or
> instructions on the list is always a poor idea, since others, far into
> the future, may hit them in a web search, and not have your
> expertise to understand the implications and requirements, or to
> perform the actions on a database table which has been refactored
> such that bad things will happen.  Mailing lists are forever (I suppose
> that is one advantage to forums, bad suggestions can be deleted
> to prevent their (mis)use).
>
> Gary
>
> (*) AFAIK I do not speak for Mr. Dean.  If he disagrees with
> my characterization of his POV, I am sure he will correct me.

Gary, I hear you.  But as I see it this is, at least in part, a list for
enthusiasts and it is the best place I know for the exchange of MythTV
lore. I would hope that suggestions could always be posted here in good
faith, to be used with discretion.  In this case I'm happy with the
result I'm seeing.

I wouldn't want everything that appears here to be filtered through a
rigorous Health-and-Safety check; but your warning is appropriate.

John