[mythtv-users] Select Country and Language in every boot

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 13:11:19 UTC 2014

> My understanding is every minor update of MythTV (on Mythbuntu) would
> overwrite the mythfrontend startup script. Certainly I seem to be re-adding
> the 'sleep 5' after every myth update.
>
> I think compiling from source does the same thing, someone correct me if I
> am wrong please.
>
> No doubt a simple script could take care of this automagically but I have
> no idea how to go about it. I just try to remember and if I forget I get a
> clear reminder at next reboot.

This is what I've done:

 ~/.config/autostart/mythtv.desktop file:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=MythTV Frontend
Comment=A frontend for all content on a mythtv-backend
GenericName=MythTV Viewer
### Replaced normal startup with a custom script which puts a sleep in to
### make sure network up before mythfrontend starts
###Exec=mythfrontend --service
Exec=/usr/local/bin/mythfrontend_start.sh
Type=Application
Encoding=UTF-8
Icon=mythtv
Categories=GNOME;Application;AudioVideo;Audio;Video
X-AppInstall-Package=mythtv

/usr/local/bin/mythfrontend_start.sh file:

#!/bin/sh
### This script is called from ~/.config/autostart/mythtv.desktop
### It's purpose is to put a sleep in front of starting mythfrontend because
### otherwise the network hasn't had time to come up before mythfrontend
### starts so you get the "Choose countty & language" annoying screens.
sleep 5
/usr/bin/mythfrontend --service