[mythtv-users] Watch recording on iPad

Karl Newman newmank1 at asme.org
Wed Aug 6 02:40:44 UTC 2014

On Aug 5, 2014 7:14 PM, "Karl Newman" <newmank1 at asme.org> wrote:

> On Aug 5, 2014 7:04 PM, "Jean-Yves Avenard" <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 6 August 2014 11:41, Karl Newman <siliconfiend at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm having a surprisingly difficult time answering the seemingly
simple
> > > question: What is the best (free) way to watch a recording on my iPad,
> > > streamed over my local network? I thought HLS was supposed to handle
that,
> > > but I played around with mythbackend's internal server (<LAN
IP>:6544) on
> > > the HLS page and couldn't seem to get anything to queue up. Further,
it
> > > wanted me to install JWPlayer, but when I clicked "Install" Safari
just
> > > tried to download a zip file and predictably failed. I see the Torc
app in
> > > the app store and I presume that still works with 0.27+, but I only
want to
> > > watch one recording at a time occasionally, without having to futz
around
> > > copying the file over USB or whatever.
> >
> > VLC and using the UPnP browser works fine for me.
> >
> > Playback starts instantly , which is much better than using other
> > player that attempt them to transcode them first...
> >
> Thanks JY. I'll give it a shot. A complicating factor is that all our
recordings are mpeg-2 from a PVR 500. I know mpeg-2 is not as widely
supported on modern platforms as h264. Also, this is our first and only iOS
device (a gift...horse?) so I'm less familiar with it.

> Thanks,
>
> Karl

Well that almost worked. The video plays great after the initial startup
but the audio plays about 3 seconds and then is mute for about 10 seconds
then the cycle repeats. Is there another video player suggestion? I tried
all combinations of audio settings in vlc but nothing changed.

Karl