[mythtv-users] FE hardware: NUC or AMD FM1 platform?

Tim Draper veehexx at zoho.com
Mon Aug 4 19:45:33 UTC 2014

After my current atom330ion based FE has seemingly died with intermittent NIC connectivity, i've decided it's time to look for a more powerful replacement.
While the ion was powerful enough for 1080p, it was just a little too slow seeking and just the slight hint of delay through menus.

I'm in two minds where to go for a replacement. the latest Intel NUC sounds interesting, and recently read the latest version has fixed 24fps rendering.
The AMD AM1 platform seems to be a very interesting way togo as a possible alternative. 25w TDP for the AMD Athlon 5150 (quad core 1.6ghz, with AMD R3 graphics (HD8400 according to Phoronix). AM1 with ITX board is about 1/3rd of the price of an i3 NUC once i get the extra hardware priced in.

the NUC size isn't much of a selling feature for me over ITX so either is fine, 25w of the AMD won't be pricy on electricity either. 25w shouldnt be hard to find a passive cooler either.

Does anyone use these bits of hardware and can put their two pence in with what performance will be like in an FE-only role?