[mythtv-users] Select Country and Language in every boot

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Mon Aug 4 16:28:17 UTC 2014

On 04/08/14 16:56, David Linville wrote:
> I was having the same frontend timing issue.
>
> Instead of adding a sleep I was able to resolve it by manually configuring
> the network interfaces and removing the network manager software from
> Ubuntu.  Even with DHCP and an SSD the traditional network setup was fast
> enough to avoid needing a delay.  This had the added advantage of disabling
> the various network/wifi up/down popups.  This is on a wired connection not
> for wifi.
>
> My manual setup is just modifying /etc/network/interfaces to include
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet dhcp

This! NetworkManager is a right pain. It is only really required if you have
some kind of dynamic connection like wifi or bluetooth, where the connection
details can change from session to session. Useful for laptops and tablets, not
so much for fixed workstations, HTPCs and servers.

If you have a static setup with wired Ethernet it is best to do just what is
stated above, get rid of NetworkManager[1] and configure it by hand. You'll
probably get a timing bonus out of it, though that isn't guaranteed.

I found an additional gotcha with NetworkManager on one of my workstations: it
would periodically drop and remake the (hard-wired) link for some reason. This
plays havoc with editing sessions.

[1] apt-get remove network-manager

--

Mike Perkins