[mythtv-users] PXE boot mythbuntu iso (14.04)

Alex Tomlins alex at tomlins.org.uk
Fri Aug 1 21:04:36 UTC 2014

On 01/08/14 17:44, Tim Draper wrote:
> I've spent a fair few hours trying to get this to work, but all to no
> avail.
>
> First up, i'm using the mythbuntu 14.04 x64 iso, and the MD5 correctly
> matches.
> I am attempting to update my existing FE's to the latest version via
> the clean install route (I am NOT trying to use diskless PXE FE's
> which is what web search thinks I'm doing)
>
> I've tried burning this iso to USB pen drive, and 2 methods of PXE
> booting; memdisk loading the iso directly (sucessfully loads the ISO
> into ram, and starts to boot iso from here), and also with direct
> mythbuntu kernel&append references with the extracted iso files.
>
> USB pen drive failed mid-install (i'd have to re-run to get the exact
> error)
> With PXE boot (either method) I keep getting dropped to a busybox
> initramfs prompt. part way through loading the initial files.
>
> Aside from actually resorting to finding a dvd burner and burning a
> disk off, does anyone have any ideas to how i can get mythbuntu
> installed via non-dvd methods?
>
> Ideally PXE boot, but USB would be ok aswell.

If you just want to PXE boot the installer, you're probably better off
just grabbing one of the netboot images from here:
http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/trusty/main/installer-amd64/current/images/netboot/

I use the netboot.tar.gz image, and serve it via tftp to my client
machines.  To do this, you'll need a tftp server running on your dhcp
server (I use tftpd-hpa from the Ubuntu repos), then untar the netboot
tarball into your tftpboot directory.  Then you need to add a filename
option to your dhcpd config.  I use something like this is (with isc dhcpd):

     host foo {
         hardware ethernet 12:34:56:78:9a:bc;
         fixed-address 10.0.0.123;
         filename "/trusty64/pxelinux.0";
     }

(I've untarred the netboot image to the trusty64 directory under my
tftpboot).

I've found this approach to be very reliable - it's been how I install
all my machines for quite a while now.

Hope that helps...

thanks,
Alex

--
Alex Tomlins
Email/Jabber: alex at tomlins.org.uk

There are two kinds of people in the world: those who finish what they started