[mythtv-users] Select Country and Language in every boot

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Fri Aug 1 18:03:05 UTC 2014

On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 1:41 PM, Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 12:32 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 11:48 AM, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > I always put the netstart part in the boot runlevel, this also because
>> > I need it to contact ldap for user data. But I assume that that is not
>> > as easy in all distros as it is in gentoo. I know it is not so easy with
>> > systemd.
>>
>> Nothing is easy with systemd.
>>
>> Eric
>

> Nope - the last time I fought it, none of the WaitForNetworkOnline (or
> whatever they were), etc worked as advertised.  I am subscribed to their
> development mailing list and all they seem to ever say is - fix your
> daemons.  Now I know why the kernel developers hate them so much :)

The system I have in my kitchen (Debian unstable) is really messed up
right now.  I can't get it to boot at all normally.  It is waiting for
the network to be configured, but it isn't configuring the network, so
it just hangs.  To get it to boot, I have to boot with
systemd.unit=emergency.target, configure the network manually with
ifconfig, then resume the boot.  Systemd is so opaque as to how it
actually does things that I can't figure out how to fix this.  I've
spent hours on this, and I've been using Debian for nearly 19 years
now.  It really shouldn't be this hard.

Eric