[mythtv-users] HDPVR S/PDIF troubles

mythtv at manzana.com mythtv at manzana.com
Wed Apr 30 20:46:54 UTC 2014

Greetings,

I would like to upgrade the 5.1 audio capture on my MythTV system.
Currently My HDPVRs (two) are connected to the DirecTV H24 STBs (two
matching) using red/white RCA cables.  I want to change to the S/PDIF
inputs to the HDPVR but when I change the Capture card setting and change
the default inputs via the /etc/modprobe.d/ file to SPDIF; liveTV fails
with the not helpful "error opening jump program file" message.  If I
switch back to the RCA Back setting all is good.  I have bypassed the
HDPVR and connected the S/PDIF cable into my Sony Stereo and the audio
plays through. I have had this working in the past but with Comcast Pace
STBs.  The Pace have optical audio outs while with the H24's only have RCA
style outputs and thus I have had to use a converter box.  This is the
main reason I tested with the stereo to make sure that audio was making it
out the end of the S/PDIF cable.  Also MythTV reports that the HDPVRs are
using x01e firmware. MythTV is .27 on Mythbuntu 14.04 w/AMD phenom 9950
and 8GB ram.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.