[mythtv-users] Forgot password; Choose door A, B or C?

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Thu Apr 24 17:19:02 UTC 2014

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 1:12 PM, Leif Pihl <leif at pihl.us> wrote:
> Is there SOME sort of a patch to fix this (or un-fix it, as the case may be) for those machines that are out in the public for anyone to access?

Sure.

Often these machines are physically secured, where only the
monitor/keyboard/mouse is out in the public, but the actual computer
is in a locked cabinet.  Then the box is configured to not respond to
ctrl-alt-delete for reboot, and that leaves no ability to reboot the
box without the root password.

If you use grub as a boot loader, you can also password protect that
which can limit the ability for the user to boot in non-default modes.
 If that's done, the only way I know of to defeat that is to either
remove the disk and install it into another machine or to boot off of
other media.

Eric