[mythtv-users] Plex.tv versus MythTV

Andréas Kühne andreas at kuhne.se
Thu Apr 24 14:11:46 UTC 2014

> Would anyone familiar with both Plex (or plex.tv) AND MythTV care to
> explain to me the differences between the two?
>
> First point of confusion:  Are they like comparing Apples and Apples, or
> Apples and Oranges?
> i.e.: Do they both do the same thing or do they do different things?

Hi Leif,

I am using both, and can say that you are comparing apples and oranges.
While Mythtv CAN be used for viewing downloaded och ripped tv series and
films that is not the main usage for mythtv. Mythtv is a PVR system (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_Video_Recorder), about the same as a
TiVo (if you are familiar with that). The main purpose of having a mythtv
system is to record tv and watch live tv. I use mythtv to watch all live
and recorded tv on my bigscreen tv at home.

Plex is great for watching ripped or downloaded content. It is very good at
getting information about the tv-series you want to watch, keeping your
place in files (if you have watched half a Breaking bad episode for
example). It is also great at distributing content to other platforms. I
use it to watch films and tv-series that I have saved on my server on my
iPad going to and from work for example. Plex is able to transcode files on
the fly to match the capability of my iPad.

So although both plex and mythtv are able to catalog videos and films,
mythtv is mainly for watching live tv and recorded tv. Plex is mainly for
organising your "other" video content.

As I said, I use both, but for different purposes.

Regards,

Andréas