[mythtv-users] Frequent backend crashes

Tom Lichti tom at redpepperracing.com
Tue Apr 22 20:23:40 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 4:10 PM, Bryan Dagerman <bdagerman at gmail.com> wrote:

> Not yet, I've been messing around with downgrading some of the dependant
> packages, but I haven't had any luck so far. If I get anywhere I'll
> certainly report back. Right now my best solution is to have systemd
> automatically restart the mythbackend.service once it crashes.

If I had to guess, and I am, I'd say that there is something on your
network trying to access MythTV (the 'client using protocol 8' messages)
and the backend is either leaking connections or memory for these requests,
and eventually crashes. I would try and eliminate that first, and see if it
gets you anywhere. You may have to do some network sniffing on your backend
to find the source, but even a simple netstat should be able to point you
in the right direction.

Tom