[mythtv-users] Intel Graphics Support Question

BobW bob_pub_mailbox-mytv at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 22 10:58:55 UTC 2014

On 4/21/2014 18:31, Craig Huff wrote:
> Thinking about replacing long-in-the-tooth BE on ASUS M2NPV-VM
> motherboard with a newer Intel CPU based one.  I couldn't tell from
> the mail-list search I did whether there would be any issues with SD
> video playback on the BE if I used an i3 cpu with Intel HD Graphics
> 2500 integrated in the CPU.  Am I asking for trouble?

I built an Intel I3 system for my FE/BE system earlier this year. Best I
can tell, E1000 built in NICs are not fully supported in 12.04.

- The on-chip intel video works, but there is an odd blur on the bottom
5-10% of the screen for many videos, (like it is overshooting the bottom
of the screen and overpainting/bouncing the bottom few lines of pixels
over the lines above.) Not too bad, but far from perfect.

- I like to watch shows at 1.5x speed, (like news progs), at 1.5x the
audio drifts out of sync fairly quickly.

- I had to manually dl/install network drivers to get the NIC to work(ish).

Here is the deal killer for me:
- About 15% of the time on start up the network won't work. mythBE is
started but the FE on the same box cannot see it.

- about 95% of the time the system will not shut down. It halts, but
does not power off.

- Time/alarm power up/restart does not work...probably because it
doesn't shutdown.

All of this was an upgrade from a MB that was working properly, (except
the audio on that motherboard failed.), powering itself off and on to
record, doing updates, playing 1.5x video/audio synchronized, and
generally working fine.

I tried two different motherboards with the i3, same issues.

Overall, I wish I had tried an AMD.

I have hopes that 14.04 may resolve these issues, but not looking
forward to another migration!

First I tried:
MSI H81M-P33 LGA 1150 Intel H81 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel
Motherboard (LAN: Realtek RTL8111G)

Then I tried
ASUS Z87-PLUS LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel
Motherboard (LAN:Intel I217-V)

Both using:
Intel Core i3-4130T Haswell 2.9GHz LGA 1150 35W Desktop Processor Intel
HD Graphics 4400 BX80646I34130T

Bob W