[mythtv-users] Start Early/End Late question

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 20 02:10:28 UTC 2014

> They're doing 4 good eats episodes (reruns) in a row without commercial breaks between the end of one and the beginning of the other. I'm trying to capture them to convert to h264 so I missing the last 10 seconds of every episode.
>
> Richard

One option would be to:
- use ffmpeg to extract the first 10sec/60sec/??sec of the subsequent recording
- use ffmpeg to then tack it onto the end of the prior recording
- clear the seek table and commskiplist and cutlist
- rebuild the seek table
- redo the commskiplist and cutlist

Not for the faint hearted but achievable. It assumes a negligible break between consecutive recordings which I think would be the case if all recordings were done on a single tuner. (I've not tried this method with MythTV before but have with recordings from a commercial PVR a very long time ago IIRC - YMMV)

I'm assuming that the far far simpler solution of padding with multirec or padding with multiple tuners is not a possibility for you? Maybe I should have asked that first.

Another option I have used in the past with MythTV is to record all consecutive shows as a single recording, then create a cutlist for just the first episode in the block then transcode to a new file without deleting the original. Then create a new cutlist for the second episode and transcode to new file, repeating for however many episodes you have in the block. A bit time consuming but effective where hard limited by tuner availability.