[mythtv-users] Arm Based Frontend

Bert Haskins bhaskins at chartermi.net
Sun Apr 20 01:15:55 UTC 2014

On 04/19/2014 07:47 PM, Nick Rout wrote:

> On Apr 20, 2014 3:15 AM, "Timothy Krantz" <tkrantz at stahurabrenner.com
> <mailto:tkrantz at stahurabrenner.com>> wrote:
> >
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I know, here we go again, another question about low power front ends.
> >
> > Well, not really.  I ran across some notes that said there was now
> VDPAU for the sunxi/mali400 chip devices.  It seems to sit on top of
> the "binary blob" drivers.
> >
> > So, I fired up my trusty hackberry board and installed Fedora 20,
> got it completely up to date with the latest kernel off of the sunxi
> site.  3.4.79ish.  Followed all the instructions on installing "binary
> blob" drivers and fbturbo and finally VDPAU.
> >
> > Then, being a masochist I downloaded the latest fixes .027 and went
> about compiling mythtv.  Yes on the hackberry itself, I have not yet
> fiddled with cross compiling.  I only compiled libs programs and yes
> it took forever.  There was a syntax error in the ffmpeg portion.  I
> found a patch for it in the ffmpeg forums and then it compiled ok.  In
> fact everything compiled ok.
> >
> > So, I fired up mythfrontend.  Damned if it did not come up.  I set
> video play back to vdpau slim, audio to the hdmi device and went to
> play back a recording.  I chose a very low file for my first test.  A
> recording of "It takes a thief". After some crackling, it played.  Yep
> it played.  Not perfectly.  Not usably, but it played.  Oddly it
> played too fast as if I had chosen to play it back at maybe 1.5 times
> normal. There was some video tearing but the VDPAU stuff is still very
> new, perhaps that will change.  I can't get the OSD to appear, not
> sure why.  Choosing OpenGL for the painter gives a black screen (I
> fell back to qt).  Oh and playback continued with 30-50 percent idle
> processor.  Audio seems to be sketchy, I will try it with the non-hdmi
> connector to see if that makes a difference.
> >
> > Playing back higher quality digital programs produced similar
> results.  Attempts to playback recordings from my HDPVR resulted in a
> ball of scrambled pixels in the center of the screen.
> >
> > Anyway, I *think* this may be the farthest anyone has gotten with
> one of these boards and I just wanted to share my experience.
>
> Fantastic work.
>
> The low power arm market is pretty full. I see a hackberry is US$65
> plus case, power supply, maybe needs remote control hardware too?
>
> For $100 you can get an Amazon FireTV, sideload XBMC, use the pvr
> client and also have access to Netflix, Amazon prime, and all the
> other goodies.
>
> Not trying to detract from your efforts, just saying ...
>

> > Tim

What I would like to see is a Mythweb client that I could program once a
week
to faithfully record the shows that I now forget to record.
If this could be done from one of my many stm32 discovery cards..
as in HDHR -> SSD (low power - low heat) that would be great.
Sorry but I'm just not happy running rotating media 24/7.