[mythtv-users] kernel panic after a fresh install (was: Mythbuntu trusty?)

Janusz S. Bien jsbien at mimuw.edu.pl
Sat Apr 19 19:00:45 UTC 2014

Quote/Cytat - mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org (Sat 19 Apr 2014
08:47:14 PM CEST):

> Message: 7
> Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2014 09:26:21 -0400
> From: Will Dormann <wdormann at gmail.com>
> To: Discussion about MythTV <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Mythbuntu trusty?
>
> On 4/19/14, 2:14 AM, Janusz S. Bien wrote:
>> When I boot in the recovery mode, I also get the flashing LEDs but I see
>> on the screen the end of some traceback. Should I write it down?
>

> Yes, or just take a picture and post it online.   It's a kernel panic.
> Could be something like bad hardware (flaky RAM - testable with
> memtest86), or a bad driver.

RAM is OK, the problem seems to be specific to the external disk used
for Mythbuntu.

The relevant message is:

Failed to execute /init
Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found

I've noticed that a similar problem was reported e.g. 9 days ago

http://askubuntu.com/questions/445958/unable-to-boot-ubuntu-12-04-after-new-installation

and using Boot-Repair was recommended.

I have done it but I was surprised by the question:

FlexNet detected. Please backup your data before this operation. Do
you want to continue?

and I answered "No". Should I say "Yes"? I have no idea why I have
FlexNet on this computer. Originally it came with Vista which I
downgraded to XP - can this be the reason?

The output of Boot-Repair is available at

http://paste.ubuntu.com/7284541/

Mythbuntu is on sdc2 (other systems on sdc have been installed when
the disk was in a different computer, so the boot configuration is
probably not valid).

I will appreciate your help.

Best regards

Janusz

--
Prof. dr hab. Janusz S. Bień -  Uniwersytet Warszawski (Katedra
Lingwistyki Formalnej)