[mythtv-users] How do I insert a linefeed in a Custom Record Rule?

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Apr 15 15:28:29 UTC 2014

Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> Better would be to edit the rule in MythWeb.  However, I recommend only editing existing custom rules (never creating new ones), and only lightly, in MythWeb as there are very few checks in MythWeb, and you can completely break the entire scheduler with a bad custom rule--which would mean you would have no scheduled recordings and your system would be broken until you identify and fix the broken rule.

I create almost all of my rules in MythWeb - it's just sooooo much easier and I can do it remotely, eg while sat at my desk at work). The trick is to test them when created/edited by looking at upcoming recordings and/or sticking the program title in the search box and see what showings in the list are set to record.
Mind you, I do have more SQL experience than I suspect is the average for MythTV users.