[mythtv-users] Intel Celeron Processor G1820 for Combined FE/BE?

Andrew Leech coronasensei at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 02:27:22 UTC 2014

On 15/04/2014 12:02 PM, Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> On 15 April 2014 12:01, Lindsay Mathieson <lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Will it cut it for video playback with VAAPI acceleration, Mainly
>> 720p, some 1080i?
> Sorry, specs here:
>
>    http://ark.intel.com/products/78955/Intel-Celeron-Processor-G1820-2M-Cache-2_70-GHz

I'm currently using an i3-4130 for a combined system using onboard
graphics no worries. It easily plays 720/1080 on my 32" tv with a good
level of deinterlacing. I'm pretty sure I've got it set to opengl
renderer rather than vaapi for the better deinterlacing support.
I occasionally get a little bit of tearing but it's only because I know
what to look for, my partner's certainly never noticed.
I'm running linux mint 15 with xorg-edgers-ppa-raring graphics drivers
although it's been a while since I updated them.
http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/269/Intel_Celeron_Dual-Core_G1820_vs_Intel_Core_i3_i3-4130.html

I occasionally get some minor freezes during playback but I'm quite
certain this is due to either recording 4-6 programs at once in the
background (usb and pci dvb recorders) and sometimes from mysql maxing
out the cpu, haven't got to the bottom of that one.

The same system also runs file server duties and acts as a crashplan
server for backups, this does take noticible cpu when looking at htop
although I don't think it's ever affected playback.

I was previously running on an i3-530 in a basically identical setup and
it worked just fine for the same kinds of playback.
http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/221/Intel_Celeron_Dual-Core_G1820_vs_Intel_Core_i3_i3-530.html

Based on this I think you would be fine with the celeron, it looks
pretty similar according to the comparisons really. Most likely
difference could come from the number of threads, basically having to
share the two threads between frontend, backend, mysql and system may
get a little tights, but when I'm watching and recording shows, htop
usually just shows two of the threads in high use on my system anyway,
there's often a couple of threads pretty much idle.

Cheers,
Andrew