[mythtv-users] HELP! I want my mythtv!

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Mon Apr 14 15:15:05 UTC 2014

On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 9:59 AM, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com> wrote:
>> That's the penalty - you "lose" half your space.
> No you pay double for the same space! And if you have several drives
> running, you're sure to encounter drive loss at some time!
> For me, for a workstation, that's acceptable. Not for data I do not
> want to lose!

For data I don't want to lose, I make backups.  Raid doesn't help
protect you against many forms of data loss and can't replace a
sensible backup policy.

That said, TV recordings do not rise to the level of "data I do not
want to lose" compared with the cost of paying significantly more for
storage hardware (double for raid 1, or somewhat less for raid 5) and
additional administration complexity.  If I lose some shows, so be it.
 Most stuff will be rebroadcast soon enough, or can be legally
acquired through other means for less than the cost of doubling the
storage array.

Eric