[mythtv-users] Unable to skip forwards during DVD playback

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Apr 14 11:10:59 UTC 2014

On 04/13/2014 12:56 PM, Jan Ceuleers wrote:
> I just tried watching a DVD, but not from the start. I'd watched the
> first part on another machine (nothing to do with Myth), then wanted to
> watch the rest on my frontend.
>
> So I fast-forwarded to the part I wanted to watch, but when I pressed
> play it began playing the movie back from the beginning, not from the
> part I had fast-forwarded to.
>
> Does anyone know what's going on?

FWIW, you probably didn't press "play".  You most likely pressed "P",
which is almost definitely bound to TV Playback/PAUSE.  There exists an
action TV Playback/PLAY, which is bound to Ctrl+P by default, but most
people don't use it because TV Playback/PAUSE works as a toggle for
pause (so it will pause when playing or play when paused) but TV
Playback/PLAY only starts playing (which does nothing if it's already
playing).

Regardless, to exit out of sticky fast forward or rewind (where sticky
means you hit the FFWD/REW button once to start and then release the
button, rather than holding down the FFWD/REW button as long as you want
to keep moving), you should not be using Pause or Play--you need to use
Global/SELECT (by default Space or Enter):

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythTV-HOWTO#Watching_TV_or_a_recording

(under "In sticky fast forward or rewind mode:").

And, I think there are a couple of settings that are related to the "I
forwarded but it started playback (when I hit the wrong key) at the same
position I began forwarding" behavior you saw (but I don't know exactly
how they interact--and especially in combination):

Smart fast forwarding
If enabled, then immediately after rewinding, only skip forward the same
amount as skipping backwards.

Fast forward/rewind reposition amount
When exiting sticky keys fast forward/rewind mode, reposition this many
1/100th seconds before resuming normal playback. This compensates for
the reaction time between seeing where to resume playback and actually
exiting seeking.

and, though I don't think it's related, there's also:

Reverse direction in fast forward/rewind
If enabled, pressing the sticky rewind key in fast forward mode switches
to rewind mode, and vice versa. If disabled, it will decrease the
current speed or switch to play mode if the speed can't be decreased
further.

which you may or may not want to set and/or play with to see if it has
an effect.

That said, try again, but this time use the SELECT key to exit sticky
forward mode.

Mike