[mythtv-users] How to disable MythBuntu auto-mount?

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Mon Apr 14 10:53:01 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-04-11 at 03:02 -0400, Raymond Wagner wrote:

> There are cases where mythfrontend will open external X applications.

Like what?  I'm not sure I've seen mythfrontend do that in a long time.
Like way back when playing videos spawned an external application.

> There are cases where not having a window manager causes improper behavior even within mythfrontend itself.

Can you provide specific examples?  Because I can provide the
counter-example that in over ten years of using MythTV I have never had
improper behavior attributable to window management.

> The application is designed and tested under the assumption a window manager will always be present.

Lots of software is used in environments where it's not tested simply
because the testing effort just doesn't have the bandwidth to test every
working environment.

And yes, I completely agree with your position that because the software
is not tested that way, it is not supported when used that way.

> When the resource needs of lightweight window managers are so small, what good reason is there to not run one?

Because it's one more thing to mis-behave break.  As low in resources as
a WM might be, the FE might already be tight in resources.  Maybe it's
diskless with no swap and therefore every byte of memory is precious.

b.