[mythtv-users] MythTV / Plex plugin

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 06:48:48 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 3:36 AM, John Pilkington <J.Pilk at tesco.net> wrote:
> On 07/04/14 15:06, Tom Bongiorno wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 6:57 AM, John Pilkington <J.Pilk at tesco.net
>> <mailto:J.Pilk at tesco.net>> wrote:
>>
>>     On 06/04/14 23:15, John Pilkington wrote:
>>
>>       DLNA access now works via the Plex plugin after I set
>>
>>         all eth+ devices as trusted, and the TV now plays DVB-T recordings
>>         converted to mpeg2-ps, which fail with the Myth DLNA server.
>>           Perhaps
>>         because of the Panasonic device profile in Plex?
>>
>>         They play in Firefox on my SL6 laptop,too.
>>
>>         John
>>

>>     ... but in both modes it's CPU intensive and HD playback stutters.
>>     It seems to be doing real-time transcoding, which shouldn't be
>>     needed, IIUC, at least for DLNA.  When Myth does that, it does it
>>     with no sweat.  Back to reading the instructions...
>>

>> Transcoding is CPU intensive. The format of the recording file is
>> dictated by the source, not MythTV. MythTV doesn't care if it is MPEG2,
>> MPEG4, h.264... If your BE is not powerful enough to do realtime
>> transcoding, you may need to setup a post recording job that transcodes
>> all recordings to a client friendly format.
>>
>> -Tom
>>

> Agreed; but all these recordings are already in a format that my TV will
> play via DLNA, if suitably presented, *without* any transcoding.

Clearly plex doesn't agree. Closed source shop who got their start by
stealing, ooops I mean forking, XBMC.

I am struggling with how you need plex to get a silent or quieter
front end. Just get a quieter PC.

If you want to look at a media server that does a lot of the same
stuff as plex, but is open source, look at mediabrowser3.