[mythtv-users] Sound problems between MythTV and Onkyo receiver

Joseph DeGraw coffee412 at comcast.net
Sun Apr 13 09:17:01 UTC 2014

On 04/12/2014 09:36 PM, Phill Edwards wrote:
> Almost a year ago I bought an Onkyo TX-NR515 receiver. For all that
> time I've had intermittent issues where the video would work but there
> would be no sound. The way to fix it was to unplug the receiver from
> the power socket overnight and then things would usually work again.
> There's been a lot of to-ing and fro-ing with the shop where I bought
> the receiver, firmware upgrades etc. eventually I'd had enough and
> yesterday I had it swapped up for a newer model Onkyo TX-NR626.
>
> Everything worked just fine to start with when I installed it
> yesterday. And then guess what - this morning: video but no audio.
> Holy cow is that frustrating!
>
> However, it does imply that it wasn't the receiver that was at fault
> and I therefore think it may be my video card which has HDMI output.
> It must be doing something the receiver doesn't like. The video card
> is a Nvidia Geforce 1GB GT210 Silent Low Profile Graphic Card with
> HDMI DVI VGA HD Video.
>
> I'm thinking I may just go and replace video card and see if that
> makes any difference. If it doesn't then I can only assume it's some
> problem inherent in all Onkyo receivers, though I find that hard to
> believe. Does anyone have any advice to offer before I go and splash
> out on a new HDMI video card?

Hello Phill,

Iam running mythbuntu 12.04 with a NVidia GTX 650 with HDMI out and a
Onkyo 605 Reciever and everything works fine. I dont think its a
reciever problem. I used to have issues with a Soundblaster card thought
that would drop sound. It was the actual driver for the sound card that
SB supplied. It would crash now and again leading to the same situation
as you. Perhaps its a sound driver problem instead?

Joseph